Tuesday 18 September 2007

Wimbledon.. with Venus and Maria..

So while John has been away I decided that I should make the most of being in the UK and Europe.. which meant that I had to go to Wimbledon – a first for me as I do not enjoy queues and 2007 was the first year of selling tickets online at 8pm the day before… you have to Love the NET.

So I ended up getting tickets to centre court. I had no idea who would be playing but the thought of being on centre court and eating strawberries and cream has been a childhood dream. For once, I had to be thankful for the wet weather as it postponed the Maria Sharapova and Venus Williams quarter final match to centre court .. How lucky was I! This was followed by Serena Williams and Justine Henin.. not as impressive as the match before..

I think I ate 4 cartons of strawberries that day. It tasted better than any of the strawberries bought at the local stores, so it must have been that thick cream poured all over it.. so much for the diet that day..
As a foreigner, we all have views and stereotypes that the Wimbledon Tennis championships is reflective of all of UK society, truly refined and orderly, everyone immaculately dressed and polite. The image of English gentry comes to mind, especially in their new kit designed by Ralph Lauren. Everyone is so orderly and polite How different the real, day to day UK is, with the pushing on the tube, the rude teenagers who do not give way to the elderly or the CHAV, in their burberry knock-offs and muffin tops..

You have to love Venus Williams, not only did she win this match and the finals, but she dared to bring her ultra flash gold patented bag onto centre court with her.. I do wonder if this was a product placement or in fact, mere functionality..

No comments: